The leaves have fallen in Greenville, South Carolina, and it feels chilly outside during both the night and day. To combat the cold weather and maintain comfortable conditions in your home this winter, you need a fully functioning furnace. If you need a new furnace and don’t know where to start, consider researching the annual fuel utilization efficiency first. Read on to learn more about the AFUE rating and why it matters when buying a new furnace.

What’s an AFUE Rating?

The annual fuel utilization efficiency measures a furnace’s efficiency in converting fuel to energy. A furnace that has an 85 percent AFUE rating can convert 85 percent of the energy it uses into heat. It uses the other 15 percent during the heating process. A furnace with a higher AFUE rating has greater energy efficiency, which means lower heating bills.

What’s a Good AFUE Rating?

New furnaces must have an AFUE rating of at least 78 percent to meet the minimum standard set by the government. Most furnaces have an AFUE rating between 80 and 85 percent, while the highest efficiency furnaces reach 97 percent.

Here are some other heating sources their AFUE ratings:

  • Firewood: 45-55 percent
  • Propane: 79-85 percent (standard efficiency) and 88-95 percent (condensing)
  • Natural gas: 78-84 percent (standard efficiency) and 90-97 percent (condensing)
  • Heating oil: 83-89 percent (mid efficiency)
  • Electric heating: 100 percent (central or baseboard)

How to Pick the Best Heating System?

If you need a new heating system and want to maximize efficiency, opt for a heat pump or a furnace that has an AFUE rating in the high 90s. Trane manufactures the most energy-efficient furnaces and heat pumps on the market.

Do you need help installing a new furnace or heat pump in your home? Let our team of experienced comfort advisors help. Contact Authorized Heating & Air Conditioning at (864) 416-4013 to schedule your appointment.

Image provided by Thinkstock

Pin It on Pinterest